Authors After Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AAD's Home For Attendees And Authors Alike!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pyper541

Pyper541

Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers Empty
PostSubject: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Cat Johnson was a new author for me, I really enjoyed her writing style and I liked the fact that she made the m/f/m scenario work. They all went their different ways and came home to each other. Clay, Mason, and April were great characters, I really felt like I could relate to them and how they were feeling.

What did everyone else think about the book?

Last edited by Pyper541 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bluesun1218

bluesun1218

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 8:40 pm

It was also new to me, I probably would never have picked this book up on my own. So glad I read it, I thought that this quote was awesome, "When you choose a man who thinks 8 seconds is a long time, perhaps you need two of them" Hey who can argue with that lol
beautifully written, first m/f/m book I have read. Couldn't put it down ended up reading it in one sitting.
Back to top Go down
http://allthefunstartsafterdark.blogspot.com/
Pyper541

Pyper541

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 am

That was definitely a good quote! I was somewhat surprised that the characters were able to make it work. A summer of menage-a-trios is one thing but to make a lifestyle out of it seems like it would be difficult. I found this story very believable though and could see how the characters all loved each other.

I liked how the boys were so different Clay always scheming and Mason ever practical and realistic. I liked how it was Clay's dad who approached the boys and told them how it would work out to make it look acceptable to the outside world. Guess we know who Clay takes after.

Since I find it difficult living with one guy April is crazy to try to take care of two. But I could definitely see how it would be difficult to choose one or the other. The chemistry the three had together really worked.
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 pm

I agree ladies.
The story flowed. No awkard points.
Back to top Go down
Pyper541

Pyper541

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I think that m/f/m would be difficult to write just because its still one of the "relationships" not generally accepted in society. Sure menege~a~trios have been fantasies for guys and girls for awhile but I don't think people have actually considered living in a committed m/f/m relationship. Sure they say certain religious groups have multiple wives but no one has multiple male partners. I really enjoyed the way the author made this work.
Back to top Go down
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Wow, Stella just told me you all were reading Rough Stock for the AAD bookclub.

Thank you! I'm so happy you chose my book to read and more importantly, that you liked it!

Yes, to respond to Pyper, a long-lasting menage was VERY difficult to write and I avoided doing it for awhile because I really wanted it to be believable. I waited until the right scenario presented itself, that being characters who grew up together and grew to love each other, making a choice impossible. The idea came from a pretty odd source--I was writing military romance at the time, and online with one of my military consultants who was deployed at the time. He said, "My Bravo Team leader used to be a rodeo cowboy before he joined the Army. Is that an idea you could use in a book?" To which I responded, "Um, Yeah!! And why haven't you told me this before!" And that's how Mason was born. And that launched my career in Western Romance, which has continued with my Studs in Spurs bull rider series. The funny thing is, for the first bull rider book (UNRIDDEN) I have a M/F/M threesome as well but [SPOILER ALERT] in the end the heroine chooses one of the men to be with and the other man bows out gracefully when he sees the others are truly in love and I had a few readers VERY unhappy that it wasn't a committed threesome in the end. But to me, having her have a fling / menage with two guys and then falling for one seemed much more realistic. *shrug*

Any more questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Cat Johnson
Back to top Go down
http://www.catjohnson.net
Pyper541

Pyper541

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks for stopping by Mrs. Johnson, we really appreciate your comments and answers...

I'm glad you ended up on the Western Romance genre and I definitely want to read your Studs in Spurs series, the Military Romance sounds good also.

I think Clay was my favorite character because he was always scheming, "Where there's a will, there's a way" right and Clay always found a way to make things happen. Everyone went their own ways, but Clay brought them all back together and I loved that when Mason asked him why he responded by saying, "When April and I had that talk in the hospital, I realized half of her would always belong to you, whether you two were together or apart. I want her, yeah, but I want her to be whole, not torn in half." That statement right there in my opinion defined the relationship!

Excellent book and I'm planning on getting more, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 pm

ah, those military men!
They are excellent!
All of Cat's books are great!
I really enjoy them!
Ladies, I haven't been disappointed yet. cheers
Back to top Go down
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks, WooWoo!
Cat
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 am

I'm only telling the truth.
Back to top Go down
bluesun1218

bluesun1218

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 am

Happy Birthday Cat! Hope you have a wonderful day!
Back to top Go down
http://allthefunstartsafterdark.blogspot.com/
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:28 am

bluesun1218 wrote:
Happy Birthday Cat! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thank you sooooo much!!
Back to top Go down
crystalj026

crystalj026

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 11:08 am

I loved this book! Like bluesun this is not a book i would've likely picked up on my own but so glad i read it! The characters were great & you could really feel what they felt for each other. Clay is my favorite as well he took the dominant role in the relationship & held them together. I was glad Clay's father found a way for them to b together without the turmoil the public would've inflicted on them. Great read all together just couldn't put it down. I tried to post weeks ago but my phone wouldn't cooperate lol finally got it!
Back to top Go down
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks, CrystalJ. I'm glad you DID pick it up and that you liked it!
Cat
Back to top Go down
Pyper541

Pyper541

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Happy Birthday Mrs. Johnson!!!

Crystal so glad that you and Bluesun have been commenting, thanks to everyone for participating, this book club has allowed me to find some excellent books and meet some incredible characters, such as Clay who like I said was one of my favorites of this book.

It was really nice to read a m/f/m book that makes it work out in the long run, I've only run across a couple that make it work and this was one of them. The entire story line and getting to really feel like you know the characters was great. All of their flaws make them real. Absolutely loved this book and looking forward to reading the Bull Rider Series as well as the Military Series...

So much to read so little time! Hope everyone is enjoying the books we are covering as well as the ones we've discovered from the authors thru the book club as much as I am.
Back to top Go down
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Pyper541 wrote:
Happy Birthday Mrs. Johnson!!!

It was really nice to read a m/f/m book that makes it work out in the long run, I've only run across a couple that make it work and this was one of them.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! much appreciated.

As for the permanent threesome, they are hard to find probably because it's hard to write and make it sound believable. I was just on a Menage and More panel at AAD last week and we discussed this. Of the 4 threesomes I've written 2 are lasting (Rough Stock and Educating Ansley) and 2 were not (Texas Two-Step and Unridden) when the heroine eventually falls in love with one of the 2 men.
Back to top Go down
crystalj026

crystalj026

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Mrs. Johnson - I am glad i picked it up as well. I look forward to reading more of yours! Very well written! Happy Birthday too Smile

Pyper - i have enjoyed the books and this club very much! I am so glad i started reading with you guys! There are very talented authors here and i am reading other books from them as well. As with Rough Stock i have loved reading books that i wouldn't have come across on my own & loved them! Very grateful for being turned onto all the new authors to explore!
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Happy Birthday Cat!
Back to top Go down
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 5:39 pm

WOOWOO wrote:
Happy Birthday Cat!

Thank you!! And it was great seeing you!
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 5:49 pm

catjohnson wrote:
WOOWOO wrote:
Happy Birthday Cat!

Thank you!! And it was great seeing you!

It's always wonderful to see you, too.
I hope you had a great trip home.
Back to top Go down
Pyper541

Pyper541

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Cat, Congratulations on your Bookie award for Western Romance Novel of the Year for Unridden Haven't gotten to read this one yet but from the teasers on here its definitely on my list can't wait! flower
Back to top Go down
crystalj026

crystalj026

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Congrats Cat!
Back to top Go down
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 am

Thank you! The Bookie Award was a total surprise. I was there in the audience in my jeans and cowboy boots looking around to see who won and it was me for Unridden! I was shocked but so honored.
Cat
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm

She fit right in with her cowboy theme.
I really liked her boots!
Congrats Cat!
Back to top Go down
catjohnson
2012 Author
catjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Thank you! I just got a new pair of cowboy boots today. Sooooo hot! I love them. Next conference...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers   Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers Empty

Back to top Go down

Rough Stock by Cat Johnson(Book Club 3) may include spoilers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next