Authors After Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AAD's Home For Attendees And Authors Alike!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Con Virgins in General -> FAQ

Go down 
+27
musette
mstiggerlicious
stephaniemorris
Lacie Nation
Ann Mayburn
coversbyrobin
Miss Mindy
PRationality
Spaz
elphingirl
trinityblacio
Melly27
Darci
bluesun1218
Pyper541
cleopatra57
Sariah
RoxanneRhoads
princesstinyfeetismar
StellaPrice
loajayne
WOOWOO
AvaRileyRomance
Jenren
bookworm2011
kikigirl
pjschnyder
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
pjschnyder
AAD Staff
pjschnyder

Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:35 am

Hi Lexie. I'm a regular at Otakon and led a panel there this past July attended by over 500 (crazy panel!). I also attend AnimeBoston, New York Comic Con and several others.

You'll find Authors After Dark to be a smaller, more intimate convention. The only lines to worry about would be for the Book Signing and not anywhere near as long as the usual cons you attend. This con is about meeting your favorite authors and spending time with friends, old and new, so it is much more laid back and relaxing. Feel free to bring your favorite books to be signed by authors in attendance or buy them on site for signing. Also, be ready to get a lot of new books, swag and fun giveaways. AAD hooks you up with the l00t. Many attendees end up shipping boxes of stuff home.

Hope to see you there!
Back to top Go down
http://pjschnyder.com
PRationality

PRationality

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:40 am

Hey PJ -

Oiy some of the panels were insane this year at Otakon. I attended only a couple, but I really think they need to think about spacing 'cause this year capped out somewhere around 32K attendees and it was massively crowded (as usual). For the record I adore Boston (I went there for an author signing the day before Otakon) and its possibly my favorite city on Earth if only because my allergies didn't try to kill me while there!

Ah see that is my favorite word 'smaller'. At least in this instance. I have a thing about...crowds....so I tend to get overwhelmed (w00t social anxieties!). Oh have no fear I will have books. And books to buy. And authors to (not creepily) stalk and well l00t and swag are two of the best words for a fangirl to hear.

Lexie
Back to top Go down
http://www.prationality.com
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Definitely reader friendly atmosphere.
No huge lines like at RT.
Goodies for all!
You will have a great time! king queen
Back to top Go down
kikigirl

kikigirl

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:05 pm

AAD is like getting together for a sleepover with friends you didn't know you had in a lot of ways.

Also, there are authors. Sometimes they are standing around chatting with you and you don't realize it until you see their nametag. Everyone is just there to have fun.

Which makes it a lot more fun for everyone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paranormalromancebookclub.net
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:59 pm

That is very true.
I was chatting with a lady and I saw her name tag.
It was Alexandra Ivy. I said, I love your books.
All the authors I've met were great, no egos just ordinary people.
Back to top Go down
PRationality

PRationality

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Heh with how tongue-tied I get around authors I suspect I'll be doing my very best to just keep a head on straight XD Thankfully I can only recognize a few on sight, so that'll make it easier for me!
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
AAD Staff
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 12:25 am

Lexie,
You may have a few 'Fan girl' moments. I've had my share at AAD. Just this year I had to push my fan girl giddyness when I saw Larissa Ione walk out onto the patio for our Con Welcome, and realized the poor thing was practically shaking she was so nervous about speaking in front of everyone. I took the time to just talk to her and remind her that she wouldn't need to say much, and everyone sitting at the tables are just huge book geeks, nothing more. After she smiled, said "I relate well with geeks.", then walked away I giggled to myself as butterflies fluttered in my stomach, knowing I just talked with one of my favorite authors. Very Happy
And one of the even better parts of AAD, is finding new authors to give a try by meeting them around the Con. I've made some great new friends at the con, author and reader alike.
Back to top Go down
PRationality

PRationality

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 am

y'all have some sort of like Emergency Fainting Crew on hand right? Just looking at the prelim list of authors and I'm wondering in the world I'll ever be able to get past 'I loved in this book when this character did this to that character!'

and oh yeah I'm hoping to find new authors to obsess over and love Very Happy (ps: I love your pic Miss Mindy)
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
AAD Staff
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 am

LOL Lexie. I'm sure if one of us staffers sees you going down while we are flying by on some task, we will stop to keep you from hitting the ground. Wink

Thanks, A friend of mine is a professional photographer and demanded we do a shoot when she saw my Steampunk costume.
Back to top Go down
coversbyrobin
Admin
coversbyrobin

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Just saying HEY to all the AAD virgins out there. If you need anything give me a shout!! 2012 will be my 3rd AAD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobookcoverdesign.com/
PRationality

PRationality

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:53 pm

XD Well hopefully my fainting doesn't occur during the staffers own fangirl moments. I don't want to stand in another's way!
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
AAD Staff
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:49 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 am

Maybe the staff should pack smelling salts! LOL!
Just for emergencies!
You do get butterflies when you see and chat with a favorite author.
I did!
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
AAD Staff
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Smelling salts....check!
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Miss Mindy wrote:
Smelling salts....check!

I think that is an easy item to fill.
Back to top Go down
Ann Mayburn

Ann Mayburn

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 1:39 pm

For the veterans among us, what type of swag has been popular in the past? I have a limited budget so I'd rather not be heading home with a box full of pens that no one wants...or glow in the dark condoms with my name on them. Wink
Back to top Go down
coversbyrobin
Admin
coversbyrobin

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 2:22 pm

I personally like getting note pads and pens. I also love chap stick. I use all of these items. Trading cards and bookmarks are fun as well. Some authors doll up the bookmarks with beads and small charms which is an awesome touch. Including sweets is an attention getter. If you need any help with design and/or printing give me a shout dear.
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 6:20 pm

welcome Ann
I like the pens, sticky notes, and the trade cards are the new thing, I believe.
Back to top Go down
cleopatra57

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 7:07 pm

as a reader & first-time con goer: the trade cards sound like an awesome idea! lol
Back to top Go down
Ann Mayburn

Ann Mayburn

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Sweet! I have romance trading cards already printed out for my various books, so I'll be sure to bring them. Smile Glad to hear that pens are still a good item, and I like the idea of chap stick but I just worry about it melting in that heat.
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 pm

wouldn't want that to melt all over.
Back to top Go down
coversbyrobin
Admin
coversbyrobin

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 11:50 am

I leave a chap stick in the car all summer. No problems. Have even washed and dried one. Was miss-shaped but not liquified LOL
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm

interesting
Back to top Go down
Lacie Nation

Lacie Nation

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:03 am

AAD 2012 is my first con! I'm an author and super excited to be a part of this. I'm nervous though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://lacienation@weebly.com
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Welcome Lacie.
Glad you can join us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Con Virgins in General -> FAQ
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Authors After Dark :: Welcome Mat :: AAD Virgins-
Jump to: