AAD's Home For Attendees And Authors Alike!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Spaz
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:10 am

Spaz wrote:
LiteraryEscapism wrote:
Spaz wrote:
Hi y'all!
Is Katie Reus a small pub featured author? I saw an Author Spotlight on her yesterday, and would love to feature her but don't see her on the list. I'm running out of folks to spotlight who will respond to me. Three more! Threeeeee morrrre who will be the luckyyyy threeeeee.
P

Have you tried Teresa D'Amario or Abigail Barnette (Jennfier Armintrout)? I know Teresa is generally all for the chance to spotlight.

I've got Abigail done, I am totally going to hit up Teresa! Thanks for the tip, Jackie!!

Wait... am I taking crazy pills and am blind? Because I am not seeing Teresa D'Amario on the Small Pub list...
Back to top Go down
http://spazp.blogspot.com
LiteraryEscapism

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 am

Spaz wrote:
Spaz wrote:
LiteraryEscapism wrote:
Spaz wrote:
Hi y'all!
Is Katie Reus a small pub featured author? I saw an Author Spotlight on her yesterday, and would love to feature her but don't see her on the list. I'm running out of folks to spotlight who will respond to me. Three more! Threeeeee morrrre who will be the luckyyyy threeeeee.
P

Have you tried Teresa D'Amario or Abigail Barnette (Jennfier Armintrout)? I know Teresa is generally all for the chance to spotlight.

I've got Abigail done, I am totally going to hit up Teresa! Thanks for the tip, Jackie!!

Wait... am I taking crazy pills and am blind? Because I am not seeing Teresa D'Amario on the Small Pub list...
She has told me she is suppose to be a featured small press author, but yeah, she's not on the list anywhere. I don't know.
Back to top Go down
http://literaryescapism.com
StellaPrice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:43 am

Pam:

Look on the list on the website... I havent updated here yet because we have had cancellations... but I should have a final list by Monday.
Back to top Go down
http://authorsafterdark.forummotion.com
LiteraryEscapism

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 am

Spaz wrote:
Spaz wrote:
LiteraryEscapism wrote:
Spaz wrote:
Hi y'all!
P

Hey, I just checked and Teresa is listed as a SPA on the website. It also seems like the list has definitely changed because there's a few names on it that I don't remember seeing.
Back to top Go down
mamakitty

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 am

I checked the list last night and there's definitely a few that I don remember seeing too. Not that it's a bad thing cause I squeed like a 10 year old girl at a Bieber concert when I saw a couple of their names... *g* I have today off of school and MamaMoon (my newest reviewer on MKR) is coming over to help me with blog stuff.

Speaking of MamaMoon, she's coming to AAD with me (already registered, no worries) and she's so excited about meeting everyone and seeing what this book reading world is all about. She's still flabbergasted that you can talk books and make friends on Twitter.
Back to top Go down
http://mamakittyreviews.com
Spaz
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 am

StellaPrice wrote:
Pam:

Look on the list on the website... I havent updated here yet because we have had cancellations... but I should have a final list by Monday.

OMG bahahahaha now THERE is a good idea. Sigh. Thank you for reminding me that's there, I've been going strictly off the one in this post. Herpderp!
Back to top Go down
book_faery

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 pm

LiteraryEscapism wrote:
BDWhitney wrote:
In general, my experiences with these spotlights have been very good. Wonderful group of authors!

Sadly, I wish I could say that. I've had authors back out at the last minute, never reply to an email (whether it be positive or negative) and agree to do something and then stand me up. Granted, not all of them were like that, some have been fabulous; I just can't say that for all of them.

StellaPrice wrote:
SO glad to hear that! We are going to be reworking the Blogger stuff for Savannah, overhaul and all so Im hoping to make it easier for everyone involved!

Would it be possible to allow all the featured authors the ability to contact us for spotlights for Savannah? I don't know what it was, but I honestly felt like I had to beg most of the small press authors just to give me the time of day. I'm not used to an author not being willing to do book promotion, especially when it's free, so this was really frustrating to me. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be contacting them as well, but it just seems like there were some authors who were really grateful for the chance to visit the site and others who didn't want to be bothered with it. I would rather use my time to help promote those who want it, and enjoy doing it, instead of feeling like I have to beg authors to be on the site in order to fill an obligation.

Agreed with everything said here. Most of the authors I contacted were wonderful, however, there were a few small press authors who gave me a huge headache/got me really agitated. I had at least 5 of them asking me if I could send them a reminder email a week before their post dates...which I found to be a bit unprofessional. In my eyes, this came off as, like LE said, them not wanting to be bothered with free book promo. Which, in turn, made me wonder why I was bending over backwards to get them a spotlight on my blog.

And before I come off as sounding super whiney, I usually do send reminder emails if I don't receive a guest post by a certain date (but that's really for blog events like Battle of the Sexies, because I contact authors months in advance). I guess I can't understand why they couldn't just mark it on a calendar, which adds to the feeling of me also having to beg to have them give me the time of day, too. A few were very, very last minute about sending me their posts, and did not give me a heads up about it until I contacted them first, which also added to the frustration. Like LE, I also had email issues with quite a few.

I think it may be a good idea if authors and bloggers can reach out to each other for the next AAD spotlights. Maybe you could do an even split between NY authors and small press? 10 NY, 10 small, and 10 of whoever the blogger wants to feature--be it small press, NY, or a mixture of the two. That gives a bit more flexibility and breathing room.

I also agree with what LE said about promoting those who genuinely seem interested. I would rather promote 10 authors for the AAD spotlight and make each a week long event as opposed to featuring some authors who don't seem interested in posting in the first place.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit too... grr. There were quite a few times where all I wanted to do was pull my hair out because I got so frustrated :/
Back to top Go down
http://book-faery.blogspot.com/
LiteraryEscapism

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 pm

book_faery wrote:
Agreed with everything said here. Most of the authors I contacted were wonderful, however, there were a few small press authors who gave me a huge headache/got me really agitated. I had at least 5 of them asking me if I could send them a reminder email a week before their post dates...which I found to be a bit unprofessional. In my eyes, this came off as, like LE said, them not wanting to be bothered with free book promo. Which, in turn, made me wonder why I was bending over backwards to get them a spotlight on my blog.

And before I come off as sounding super whiney, I usually do send reminder emails if I don't receive a guest post by a certain date (but that's really for blog events like Battle of the Sexies, because I contact authors months in advance). I guess I can't understand why they couldn't just mark it on a calendar, which adds to the feeling of me also having to beg to have them give me the time of day, too. A few were very, very last minute about sending me their posts, and did not give me a heads up about it until I contacted them first, which also added to the frustration. Like LE, I also had email issues with quite a few.

I think it may be a good idea if authors and bloggers can reach out to each other for the next AAD spotlights. Maybe you could do an even split between NY authors and small press? 10 NY, 10 small, and 10 of whoever the blogger wants to feature--be it small press, NY, or a mixture of the two. That gives a bit more flexibility and breathing room.

I also agree with what LE said about promoting those who genuinely seem interested. I would rather promote 10 authors for the AAD spotlight and make each a week long event as opposed to featuring some authors who don't seem interested in posting in the first place.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit too... grr. There were quite a few times where all I wanted to do was pull my hair out because I got so frustrated :/

Thank god I wasn't the only one. I had contacted ALL of the SPA authors two months in advance of my Feb feature and I only heard back from half of them. Then I had another 7 stand me up completely, never bothering to even email me that they weren't going to be able to do it. It's just frustrating because I was doing advance promoting for the event and saying they were going to be there and then they weren't.

I have to say, I like the idea of doing 10, 10 and 10. While I understand the idea of giving more time to the SPA since the NYT usually don't need it, I've found the NYT were more grateful for the chance than a lot of the SPA and were more professional about it. At the same time, I don't have a problem promoting SPA authors on LE, because they do need it. All of them could have contacted me for a date and I would have given it to them.
Back to top Go down
JulieYMandKAC

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Quick question: I have Mari Freeman posting this week. On the boards, she is listed as a Small Press author (and I count her as one of my twenty) but on the website she is listed under NY. Which is it? Thx Smile
Back to top Go down
StellaPrice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:07 pm

its small press. Robin goofed.

Back to top Go down
JulieYMandKAC

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 pm

StellaPrice wrote:
its small press. Robin goofed.

Oh phew. I thought my numbers were totally messed. lol Thanks Stella!
Back to top Go down
book_faery

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 am

LiteraryEscapism wrote:
book_faery wrote:

Thank god I wasn't the only one. I had contacted ALL of the SPA authors two months in advance of my Feb feature and I only heard back from half of them. Then I had another 7 stand me up completely, never bothering to even email me that they weren't going to be able to do it. It's just frustrating because I was doing advance promoting for the event and saying they were going to be there and then they weren't.

I have to say, I like the idea of doing 10, 10 and 10. While I understand the idea of giving more time to the SPA since the NYT usually don't need it, I've found the NYT were more grateful for the chance than a lot of the SPA and were more professional about it. At the same time, I don't have a problem promoting SPA authors on LE, because they do need it. All of them could have contacted me for a date and I would have given it to them.

Nope, I know someone else who was kind of having issues, also. And I def found NY authors were a lot more professional, responsive, and prompt, but then again, there were a bunch of SPAs who were, too; however, percentage-wise, all 11 of my NY authors were like YEAH LET'S DO IT! ...whereas, not all of my SPAs were, heh.
Back to top Go down
pjschnyder
AAD Staff

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Has anyone had contact with Book Faery since Monday? I'd sent several emails and tweeted her, but haven't seen activity online by her. What updates I saw looked to be automated.

I'd turned in my author spotlight to her by her requested date and followed up to check if she'd received it out of consideration for potential email snaffus, but got no reply and it didn't go up as scheduled yesterday.

A bit concerned and starting to wonder if she's ok?

If there's a problem and anyone is in contact with her, let us know so we can work with her to help out, please.
Back to top Go down
http://pjschnyder.com
Spaz
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:17 pm

pjschnyder wrote:
Has anyone had contact with Book Faery since Monday? I'd sent several emails and tweeted her, but haven't seen activity online by her. What updates I saw looked to be automated.

I'd turned in my author spotlight to her by her requested date and followed up to check if she'd received it out of consideration for potential email snaffus, but got no reply and it didn't go up as scheduled yesterday.

A bit concerned and starting to wonder if she's ok?

If there's a problem and anyone is in contact with her, let us know so we can work with her to help out, please.

Oh NO!!! That definitely concerns me, will do!!
Back to top Go down
RedHotBooks

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:36 pm

She has some Goodreads activity from yesterday. Kristi, right?

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4387706-kristi-stern-the-book-faery
Back to top Go down
http://www.redhotbooks.com
pjschnyder
AAD Staff

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Actually, it's Tory from Book Faery.

Hopefully she's ok and maybe just had her laptop fry or something.
Back to top Go down
Qwill

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:50 pm

I just texted Tori. She's fine, just really overburdened by schoolwork and has not been on the computer.
Back to top Go down
http://qwillery.blogspot.com
Limecello
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:37 am

LiteraryEscapism wrote:
book_faery wrote:

I've found the same - I haven't made my list because I've emailed a LOT of people (probably more like 50 at least) and many I never heard back from. Some, I heard back from once, but they never responded to a schedule date.
Then, I had one author who confirmed a blog guest date, and she just... never responded.

I've had to send some authors six emails or more to remind them about dates. It's gotten pretty stressful.

Of course there are many who are a dream to interact with, and I've already invited back to my blog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.limecello.wordpress.com
pjschnyder
AAD Staff

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:32 am

mamakitty wrote:
I'm trying to get in contact with a few authors (one in particular) and all there is, is a form on the webpage. When I enter my message and hit enter, it takes me to an error page saying Google Chrome can't find the page... probably because the author's name is suddenly spelled incorrectly, but it's from the source coding, not from what I've entered. So how do I get in contact with this author? Should I stalk her via Twitter?

Hi! Send a private message to Stella and she will get you alternate contact information.

We're at MarCon this weekend so it might take her a couple of days.

(or if it's my Contact form that's borked again feel free to PM me and I'll fix it. >_< )
Back to top Go down
BDWhitney

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I've tried to be proactive and email my authors a couple of weeks ahead of time, but regardless, I've had a number of them forget about me. Ain't it grand to be one of "the little people"? Heh.

When I signed up to be an AAD blogger, I had no idea of the hours and HOURS of time I'd be pouring into this. Not that I''m complaining (much LOL), but...whew! :-)

Bobby
Back to top Go down
http://www.bookwenches.com
Limecello
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:41 am

BDWhitney wrote:
I've tried to be proactive and email my authors a couple of weeks ahead of time, but regardless, I've had a number of them forget about me. Ain't it grand to be one of "the little people"? Heh.

When I signed up to be an AAD blogger, I had no idea of the hours and HOURS of time I'd be pouring into this. Not that I''m complaining (much LOL), but...whew! :-)

Bobby

Bobby - don't say that! Also - really I don't think it's you - just some authors... aren't responding. Some of them it might be caught in spam, or life going crazy. The rest... *shrugs*
(Of course, heh, I'm one of the little people too, right?)
Back to top Go down
http://www.limecello.wordpress.com
Twimom227

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:16 am

I have really enjoyed this entire process - although it is a lot of work and more than I originally planned, I love it. I'm meeting and reading authors that I never would have otherwise.

The question I have is... in the few cases where an author has agreed to do the spotlight, but then doesn't respond to continued follow up emails, can I run just my own "Spotlight" post - an author bio and something about one of their books?

I have had a couple of authors back out at the last minute, and I've had a couple that did not respond after the initial contact. I have been trying to replace those authors with others to meet my 20 author requirement, but it's becoming a burden when I invest time and energy into creating a post, questions, etc, and then have an author not follow up. I want to make sure I meet the requirements, but I'd like some consideration for the work I've done and the authors not follow through.
Back to top Go down
http://twimom227.com
book_faery

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Tue May 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey, has anyone been in touch with Kayleigh Jamison recently? She was supposed to send me a guest post that was going to air on Book Faery today. I sent a reminder/confirmation email on May 1st, and then another on the 6th, but didn't receive a response to either.

Aside from earlier communication issues with some authors, which was eventually resolved (thanks Stella for all the help!), Kayleigh and Gayle Donnelly are the only two SPA who haven't sent me posts or contacted me back (after confirming that they would do a guest post in the first place).
Back to top Go down
RedHotBooks

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 am

I had trouble communicating with her via email. I had better luck with twitter. @kayleighjamison

Last edited by RedHotBooks on Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.redhotbooks.com
StellaPrice
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 am

Ok guys....

PJ and I talked.

We have decided to do something, as theres a good amount of flakey authors right now. So heres the deal:

Whoever hasnt made good on doing a post after you contacted them, PLEASE LIST here.

You will not be penalized for them at all, and they will be put on a list for next year for consideration.

this way we can see whats going on. this is for both NY and small press authors that have flaked. Also, there will an opt in for 2013 for authors, and should they opt in, they HAVE to fulfill the requirements...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press   

Back to top Go down

Author Spotlight Authors: Small Press
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next