Authors After Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AAD's Home For Attendees And Authors Alike!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Con Virgins in General -> FAQ

Go down 
+27
musette
mstiggerlicious
stephaniemorris
Lacie Nation
Ann Mayburn
coversbyrobin
Miss Mindy
PRationality
Spaz
elphingirl
trinityblacio
Melly27
Darci
bluesun1218
Pyper541
cleopatra57
Sariah
RoxanneRhoads
princesstinyfeetismar
StellaPrice
loajayne
WOOWOO
AvaRileyRomance
Jenren
bookworm2011
kikigirl
pjschnyder
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
pjschnyder
AAD Staff
pjschnyder

Con Virgins in General -> FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 11:29 pm

A couple of tips for those new to attending any convention ever (listed in no specific order and please feel free to add!)

- Register early. Very early. Most conventions reach attendance cap far earlier than anticipated.
- Make hotel reservations at the same time. Often this will fall off your radar as you get busy and you will find yourself registered with no accommodations.
- Scout the area. Know where you are arriving and how you will get from there to the hotel. Also know where nearby convenience stores are for the inevitable forgotten item(s)
- Research weather. Summer in NOLA is very hot and very humid. Pack with appropriate clothing, especially for any outings. In fact, with so many different workshops, panels, events and evening field trips, you may find yourself packing multiple outfits for each day.
- Stay hydrated. Running around any convention, it is easy to forget something like keeping a bottle of water on hand. Especially in the hot weather, you'll find yourself more energetic and healthy if you stay hydrated.
- Pack with enough room to bring home goodies. AAD NOLA will have lots of prizes, swag and giveaways. Make sure you can take 'em home with you. Alternatively, plan to ship stuff home.
- Bring a writing implement and notepad or electronic equivalent. There's lots to do and lots of information in every panel. Also, it's handy to mark events in the schedule to remember what you wanted to attend.
- Bring a camera. Shenanigans occur around every corner and you'll want to save the memories. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://pjschnyder.com
kikigirl

kikigirl

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyTue May 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Another note: Remember that AAD involves lots of free books. If you're traveling by plane, consider a pre-paid USPS box instead of paying for the (heavy) books to fly with you. The Postal Service is fast, and the books will get to you in about 3-5 business days.

I know Stella has had them available at all the previous AADs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paranormalromancebookclub.net
bookworm2011

bookworm2011

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Stella mentioned the USPS boxes when I had a question about AAD 2011. What a great idea for those of us who are flying there and to New Orleans next year. Stella is so organized and super about answering questions. She deserves the Con Organizer of the Decade Award.
Back to top Go down
Jenren

Jenren

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyWed May 18, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks for the information! 2012 will be my first CON...I'm really looking forward to it!!!
Back to top Go down
kikigirl

kikigirl

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyWed May 18, 2011 11:47 am

Wow, lots of firsties.

Do any of you have specific questions? This year is going to be larger than the previous AADs, but some of us are serious con veterans. Smile
Back to top Go down
AvaRileyRomance

AvaRileyRomance

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:11 pm

This is great information! AAD2011 is my first Con so this is good for me to know now. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.avariley.webs.com
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:36 pm

The shipping boxes are really great.
Back to top Go down
pjschnyder
AAD Staff
pjschnyder

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyThu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Absolutely if anyone has any questions - feel free to add them here. We can to the FAQ Smile
Back to top Go down
http://pjschnyder.com
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:27 pm

taxis?
Back to top Go down
loajayne

loajayne

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySat May 21, 2011 12:22 am

Shipping boxes are a great idea from and too, for those planning costuming for one or both of the balls. If you have a room, you may have something shipped to the hotel ahead of you. Just contact the hotel, and usually they are more than happy to assist you with this.

Also, remember, when traveling to places/events away from the convention hotel, it is always a good idea to a) notify someone at the convention/hotel of where you are planning to go and when you expect to return and b) it is always best to wander with a friend. Getting lost can be much more frightening when you are alone, and so hilarious when you are not.
Back to top Go down
loajayne

loajayne

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySat May 21, 2011 12:27 am

WOOWOO wrote:
taxis?

Yes, there are taxis. The hotel and the airport both will have information, as well as the visitors center online. Go to http://www.visitphilly.com/ to find all kinds of useful information for traveling to Phillie. Taxis are usually more expensive; try to find shuttles or arrange to ride share with other travelers coming in. Creating a forum here for arrival times may be a good idea for those wishing to do just that.

Go Mavs! Basketball
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySat May 21, 2011 1:47 pm

thank you.
Back to top Go down
kikigirl

kikigirl

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySat May 21, 2011 11:56 pm

I think an arrival coordination forum would be a fabulous thing once we get closer...
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySun May 22, 2011 2:49 pm

good idea.
maybe a wed evening get together?
nothing formal get gather in a spot
Back to top Go down
bookworm2011

bookworm2011

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySun May 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Really like the idea of an arrival coordination forum. I'm not arriving at Philly airport til 8:15 on Wed. but also like the idea of announced spot for getting together that evening.
Back to top Go down
StellaPrice
Admin
StellaPrice

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySun May 22, 2011 4:06 pm

loajayne wrote:
Shipping boxes are a great idea from and too, for those planning costuming for one or both of the balls. If you have a room, you may have something shipped to the hotel ahead of you. Just contact the hotel, and usually they are more than happy to assist you with this.

Also, remember, when traveling to places/events away from the convention hotel, it is always a good idea to a) notify someone at the convention/hotel of where you are planning to go and when you expect to return and b) it is always best to wander with a friend. Getting lost can be much more frightening when you are alone, and so hilarious when you are not.

Normally you are right, shipping to the hotel is easy. for AAd it isnt because We try to keep all costs down by negotiating cheaper prices for the rooms and the food... Well they always try to make up for it with other things, and they ALWAYS knock us out with "Box acceptance". we will have info for everyone that NEEDS to ship something (we have someone that actually collects it) but sending to the hotel (which I believe we only are allowed the standard 20 and we hold those spots for last minute boxes from publishers) Is probably a no go.
Back to top Go down
https://authorsafterdark.forummotion.com
kikigirl

kikigirl

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:37 am

Ooh. Good to know. Might need to make special arrangements for NOLA then... it's a bit longer a drive than usual for me. Wink
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyMon May 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Wink
Back to top Go down
princesstinyfeetismar
AAD Staff
princesstinyfeetismar

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:59 am

such good talking points...
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyWed May 25, 2011 7:16 pm

the ladies are on the ball
Back to top Go down
RoxanneRhoads

RoxanneRhoads

PostSubject: New to the Cons   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:26 pm

2012 will be my first con, since I've been part of the writing/book world my kids have been too little. But 2012- my youngest will be 6 by then and hopefully able to be on his own.

I want to go to RT in Chicago and AAD NOLA- I'm dragging hubby with me to NOLA.

Chicago I think I can manage the drive on my own from MI. Not so for NOLA that's too far of a drive to be alone. (I don't do airplanes- another reason I haven't attempted going to any Cons before)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fang-tasticbooks.blogspot.com
kikigirl

kikigirl

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Roxanne, AAD is a wonderful con to try out. It's small enough to actually have conversations with people and not get lost or miss things because you lost track of time. (Although I have missed things because I got caught up, so it's not like you'll be bored.) Also, the food choices are spectacular. It's a more informal convention, with plenty to do and a really unique dynamic for the panels. Bring questions. The authors have always provided a more interactive dicussion type of panel at AAD. Even if you're not completely sure of a panel, it's often a wonderful time and very personalized. This is the con to be adventuresome at. It's also much more immersive - the authors are readers, too, so there are a lot of times when you find yourself unknowingly conversing with someone who turns out to be an author.

RT can be a little overwhelming, but is also fun. Make sure that you plan your itinerary beforehand, and keep an eye on the clock. As a reader, there are specific events the authors throw for you, and you don't want to miss them. There can be lines, and certain things fill up quickly, so plan a little extra time for anything you really want to attend - especially food. The panels are a more traditional lecture format - you may or may not actually get to ask your questions. Be prepared to listen - there's a lot of great information, but it can go by pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
WOOWOO

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 pm

great tips
Back to top Go down
Sariah

Sariah

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:54 pm

It is tips like that......that make me very excited! To actually talk/ meet some of the authors I read, is very excting! I bet a have a lot of "Oh my goodness" moments! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
anomlaym

PostSubject: Not a total newbie but....    Con Virgins in General -> FAQ EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 2:38 pm

I have been to a couple of Lori Foster's Author/Reader events and thouroughly enjoyed them. Looking forward to a larger con experience. My question is whether it is frowned on to video/tape record panels? Some of us are not the world's best note takers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Con Virgins in General -> FAQ   Con Virgins in General -> FAQ Empty

Back to top Go down

Con Virgins in General -> FAQ
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Authors After Dark :: Welcome Mat :: AAD Virgins-
Jump to: